Tucked away at the base of the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains, and conveniently located between Asheville and Charlotte, this former Girl Scout Park has been lovingly renovated into a picturesque campground with unique accommodations. Today on the Camp Guide we’re sharing everything you need to know about Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park™ Camp-Resort: Golden Valley.
At a Glance:
- 600+ acres
- Beautiful views of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Unique glamping cabins and tents
- On a lake with many water activities
- Themed and seasonal events throughout the year
Ways to Stay:
Looking for comfort and convenience for the whole group? These beautifully renovated lodges were restored from their former camp days. Some can sleep up to 16 campers, making them the perfect getaway for friends and family. Amenities vary depending on the lodge you choose, but each has a spacious living room with a fireplace, AC/heating, and a kitchen with refrigerator, sink, 4-burner stovetop & oven, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, and dishwasher. Enjoy an outdoor area with a fire ring, and charcoal grill – and a hot tub!
Looking for a cozy hideaway with lots of privacy, or one right where the action is? Do you want a full bathroom and kitchen, or do you want something a little more rustic? Maybe you’d like to bring the dog? Whatever you’re looking for, Golden Valley has a variety of cabin options located throughout the park with loads of amenities for every type of camper. Many also have lofts for the kiddos.
Looking for a really unique experience at Golden Valley? We recommend taking in the views of the South Mountain State Park from the trees in a Mountain View Cabin or a Treetop Cabin. These are our top picks for an adventurous getaway!
All cabins and lodges are fully stocked with plate ware, pots & pans, silverware, dish & hand soap, a kitchen towel, and toilet paper – just bring grilling utensils, paper towels, and linens. Don’t want to pack linens? You can rent them when booking! Check each listing for details.
Enjoy a glamorous camping experience in a unique Lake View Glamping Tent! These tents are tucked in on the side of the mountain and overlook the 12-acre lake. Features include sleeping accommodations for up to 5 people with a queen bed, twin hideaway mattress, and sleeper sofa which sleeps 2 – and linens are included! There’s also an electric hook-up, a Smart TV, AC/heating, a mini-refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, charcoal grill, and fire ring. Plus, enjoy access to your own private detached bathroom and shared dishwashing sink, a short walk from the tent.
Located throughout Golden Valley, these campsites offer a full spectrum of settings and amenities. There are seven types of sites to choose from whether you want a premium RV site with full hook-ups or a Creekside site under the trees, they have options for every camper with an included picnic table, fire ring, and charcoal grill.
Want a traditional camping experience? Pitch your tent under the canopies of the trees at one of Golden Valley’s Premium or Red Carpet tent sites! Each site comes with a 10×12 tent area, picnic table, fire ring, charcoal grill, and electric hook-up. Choose your location wisely though as some tents are on a steep hill, which can be a perk for some campers and difficult for others.
What to Do:
Campers can spend the day enjoying an unparalleled line-up of amenities including canoeing, kayaking, fishing, an interactive water playground with water slides and a swimming pool, hiking and biking trails, sports courts, laser tag, arts & crafts, a jump pad, and numerous planned activities and themed weekends.
Where to Go:
There’s so much to do at Golden Valley, you may never want to leave. But the resort is also a great “home base” for those who want to explore attractions in the surrounding area.
South Mountains State Park – With elevations of 3,000 ft., a 60 ft. waterfall, and over 40 miles of hiking trails, South Mountains State Park is a great spot for the outdoor explorer! Enjoy trout fishing, hiking, and mountain biking.
Beanstalk Ziplines – Enjoy 5 interconnected zips ending in a 520-ft mega zip. Bonus – guests of Jellystone Park™ can enjoy special savings!
Biltmore Estate – Biltmore Estate is a large private estate and tourist attraction near Asheville, North Carolina. Biltmore House is a Châteauesque-style mansion built by George Washington Vanderbilt II between 1889 and 1895.
Lake Lure – From boat tours to beaches, to a cute village area with charming shops and restaurants, Lake Lure is a great destination for a day trip.
Golden Valley Insider Tips:
- From a family vacation to a quick getaway weekend, there are amenities for everyone to enjoy – regardless of age.
- Golden Valley has exciting and unique events throughout the whole season! Activities center on holidays, seasons of the year, and other fun themes.
- You can find a variety of delicious on-site food options. Stop by Creekside Café for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! At the Café, enjoy a variety of menu items like wood-fired pizza, burgers, fries, chicken tenders, and delicious frozen treats like ice cream (it’s homemade!) and ICEEs! Thirsty? The Blue Ridge Tavern offers beer, cocktails, and wine!
- Many of the cabins are dog friendly, look for the paw icon when booking on Campspot and when you arrive make sure to check out the Bark Park.
- Lounge by the pool in a rentable private cabana! Enjoy a mini-fridge, Smart TV, ceiling fan, and comfortable patio furniture – it’s the ultimate way to kick back by the pool!
- Since Golden Valley spans 600+ acres of the great outdoors, we encourage all non-walking enthusiasts to rent a golf cart when visiting.
- If you’re looking for a more peaceful trip, considering the shoulder season when the Water Zone is closed. The property is beautiful year-round but will be less busy during these periods.
There’s fun for everyone at Golden Valley. From glamping experiences like treetop cabins and luxury tents to premium cabins and group lodges with tons of amenities and perks – this destination is a must for those looking for an adventure while enjoying the comforts of home! To book your stay visit Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park™ Camp-Resort: Golden Valley on Campspot!