Start your day with these delicious and filling easy camping breakfast burritos loaded with bacon, avocado, cheese, and lots of sautéed vegetables! Easily made for small or large groups.
It’s often been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Whether you enjoy eating breakfast at 6 a.m. or 11 a.m., this is a great first meal that will give you tons of energy for whatever fun activities you have planned on your camping trip.
One great thing about camping breakfast burritos is that there are endless options for what you can put inside. I love using up any leftover vegetables or meats I have from the day before because it cleans up the fridge or cooler and reduces the amount of food waste. It also can make your meal extra delicious and nutritious.
Some of my favorite leftovers to use in a burrito are:
- BBQ chicken
- Hamburger patty/ground meat
- Sliced ham/deli meat
Feel free to experiment with whatever leftovers you may have on your camping trip, or use this recipe as a guide to a great camping breakfast!
How to Prepare Burritos Ahead of Time
Reduce your cooking time in the morning by preparing these breakfast burritos at home before your camping trip and freezing until needed. Then just reheat in the morning for a quick, easy, and delicious breakfast.
To prevent the breakfast burritos from getting soggy, make sure to allow all ingredients to come to room temperature after cooking before assembling the burritos. Then, in individual portions, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, stack in a resealable bag, and store in the freezer for up to one month. Make sure to write the date you made them on the foil so you can keep track of the freezer time.
You can reheat them in a number of ways:
- Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes
- Warm them in your trailer oven at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes, until warmed through
- Thaw and heat in a pan on medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes until brown and crispy
Camping Breakfast Burritos
Serves 2 people
- 4 to 6 eggs, beaten
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (remove seeds if you don’t like it too spicy)
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheese of choice
- 4 to 6 slices bacon
- 2 to 4 medium/large tortillas
- Sriracha or salsa (optional)
- Cook bacon on medium-low heat until crispy. Remove from the skillet and cover until ready to assemble the wrap. Drain excess bacon fat.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Sauté onions, jalapeño, and green bell peppers until softened, about five minutes.
- Add fresh spinach and sauté for a couple minutes until softened (optional). Alternatively, you can add the fresh spinach into the burrito at the end if you prefer.
- Add eggs and cook until scrambled, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add shredded cheese at the end and cook until melted. Turn off the heat.
- Now it’s time to assemble the burritos by adding a spoonful of the scrambled egg/vegetable mixture, a couple slices of cooked bacon, some avocado slices, and desired sauces to the tortilla. Wrap tightly and enjoy!
- Large frying pan
- Cheese grater (or pre-shredded cheese)
Whether you decide to make these ahead of time or the morning of, breakfast burritos are a great filling breakfast option to fuel all the day’s adventures that lie ahead. Try them out on your next camping trip!
Carlin is a lover of all things outdoors, adventure, and food! She is an avid outdoor enthusiast and enjoys activities like camping, hiking, biking, snowboarding, and surfing—especially in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta and BC, Canada. She combined her passion for food and the outdoors and decided to start her outdoor food blog, Camp Kitchen, where she shares easy, delicious, and approachable recipes for the outdoors.
Image credit: Carlin Frimmel